Tools Search Main Menu

Incoming and New J-1 Scholars

New J-1 Scholar Request for a DS-2019

If your J-1 Scholar is new to the University of Rochester, you will need to request a URID for them before beginning the application process through URCompass.

Requesting A Guest Account/URID? Click Here

The immigration document required to apply for a J visa is the DS-2019. Please follow the link below to login to URCompass and initiate a NEW J-1 Scholar Request.  Please use the checklist to ensure all required documents are submitted; we cannot process a request for a DS-2019 until we have a complete application.  Please allow for three (3) months between the date ISO receives a complete application and the new J-1 scholar's start date.

See the link below for an overview of the process: 

     J-1 New Request Training Document


URCompass Login Link


Export Control Form
J-1 Scholar Department Checklist
J-1 English Assessment Form


Transfer J-1 Scholar to the University of Rochester

J-1 scholars are allowed to transfer their J status from one institution to another so long as certain criteria are met.  The forms needed to process the transfer of a J-1 scholar to the University of Rochester are provided below.  

J-1 Transfer Checklist
J-1 Scholar Transfer form (J-1 scholar is to give this form to their current sponsor) 

Bringing Dependents in J-2 Visa Status

Only the spouse and children of the J-1 principal are eligible for the J-2 visa status.  The minimum amount of financial support required for each J-2 dependent is currently $500 per dependent per month; this figure is to be added on to the minimum financial support required for the J-1.  This figure does not include the cost of health insurance which, for a family, can be very expensive if health insurance will not be provided to the J-1 principal as a benefit of their appointment.

Complete and submit the form below to request a DS-2019, one for each eligible dependent.

J-1 Scholar Dependent Questionnaire