Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Meloria • Ever Better
Search Tools Main Menu

Study in the United States

Many foreign nationals are interested in academic study during their time in the United States. The University of Rochester is able to sponsor full-time students in the F-1 or J-1 categories. However, some workers, scholars, and dependents may also be eligible to study while maintaining their nonimmigrant status. It is important to understand whether your immigration category requires, allows for, or prohibits study. Under US law, the University of Rochester and other academic institutions are not restricted from admitting or enrolling individuals who do not have valid permission to study. Instead, it is the individual's responsibility to maintain their status, including any academic activities. In some circumstances, permission for full-time or matriculated study may be restricted, but temporary classes for a hobby or personal interest may be allowed. If you have questions specific to your status, please speak with an ISO Advisor or your program sponsor.

Specific information and guidance is available on the following topics: