Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Meloria • Ever Better
Search Tools Main Menu

Inviting Family & Friends

Family and friends may visit you in the U.S. provided they have permission to enter the country.  Visitors for business or pleasure will need to have a valid B-1/B-2 visa or be eligible for the Visa Waiver Program.  Travelers should contact their local U.S. Consulate or Embassy with any questions about document requirements.  Upon arrival, most visitors are granted permission to stay for 3-6 months at a time.

When applying for the visa or entering the country, visitors should be prepared to show that they can afford to support themselves during the trip and have plans to return home again.  A short letter inviting your family member or friend can be helpful to demonstrate the reason for their visit.  This letter should come from you and be addressed to the individual, so they can use it during the visa interview, at the U.S. Port of Entry, or elsewhere as needed.  As a template, you may consider editing this sample letter and updating the content to reflect your personal details or other information, as needed.  Each visitor should receive a separate letter.  Please understand that the letter provided is only a sample and does not include language that can guarantee a visa approval at the U.S. consulate.

Special Note about Spouse/Children: Since your spouse and/or children would normally be eligible for a dependent category based on your current status, they may have difficulty getting a B-1/B-2 visa.  You may want to consider having them apply for a dependent visa category instead.  Please speak with an advisor in the ISO about the process and considerations for adding dependents.