Preparing for your Trip
There is a lot to be done and think about when planning for your study, research, or work in Rochester. It will be helpful to plan ahead for your travel, make arrangements with several University service offices, and to think about what items you will want to bring with you. Please consider:
Tips for Airline Travel
- Always hand-carry your passport, other immigration documents, and money or travelers checks.
- Find out from the airline if there are any restrictions on the number, size, or weight of baggage items.
- Carry a small flight bag with medications you may need, valuable belongings, a change of clothing, and any essential personal hygiene items, just in case your checked baggage is lost or misdirected during your flight.
- Review guidance from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) regarding carry-on restrictions.
- Be careful at airports – do NOT leave your bags unattended or with strangers!
- Carry some U.S. currency with you when you travel. You may need to make a phone call, purchase a meal, pay for taxi fare, or rent a baggage trolley when you arrive.
- Expect the unexpected! Check in for all flights well in advance of your scheduled departure time. If you are planning on spending the night in a hotel, either in transit or upon arrival in Rochester, you should guarantee your reservation with a credit card in case your flight is delayed and you arrive later than expected.