Tools Search Main Menu


International students, scholars, and visitors are permitted to work in the United States only with specific permission. Sometimes, the immigration status will automatically include certain employment authorization, due to the nature of the program or activity at the University. Otherwise, employment authorization must be in place before beginning any work.

Eligibility for any of the employment options detailed in these pages will depend on your individual permissions and University policy. Contact the International Services Office (ISO) to discuss your options.

We’ve compiled information about:

Working Without Authorization

Unauthorized employment is aserious and automatic violation of your status. Such a violation is viewed harshly under immigration regulations and is extremely difficult to overcome.

Your ability to remain in the US or continue your studies, work, or research will be jeopardized by working without permission. In addition, reinstatement petitions resulting from unauthorized employment are routinely denied.

Employment at the University

ISO’s Scholar Services staff manage the immigration work for all international faculty and staff hired by the University. They must obtain work authorization from US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for each foreign national before he or she can begin any appointment with the University. It typically takes several months to obtain work authorization, depending on the visa type.

Hiring departments must contact the ISO Scholar Services before an offer is made to a foreign national. The work-authorized, nonimmigrant visa classifications most often used at the University are H-1B, O-1, TN, and J-1 (non-student).

Learn more about working at the University.

Required Information and Documents

US employers are required to verify that new workers have work permission for the job. Employers must also report workers’ earnings for tax purposes. This process is facilitated by a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

Before being hired, you will be asked to provide your SSN or ITIN to your employer, along with documents showing your identity and work authorization. You are also responsible for filing appropriate tax forms and may be subject to tax payments on US earnings.

For more information, see our web pages on Social Security Numbers and US taxes.