Tools Search Main Menu

Study Abroad or Graduate Research Abroad

International students sometimes elect to study or conduct research abroad as part of their US academic program. It is possible for the International Services Office (ISO) to maintain your current F-1 or J-1 record in SEVIS while you are out of the country, but only if you will continue enrollment and the University of Rochester. This option is available after maintaining full-time enrollment for at least one academic term in Rochester and is subject to University approval and policies. 

Our staff will monitor your academic record and report registration information to SEVIS while you are away from Rochester. You must carry full-time registration at the University of Rochester for the academic term(s) and maintain progress toward your degree requirements while abroad. 

If you need an updated travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019, you must obtain one before leaving Rochester or allow sufficient time for a new document to be issued and emailed to you prior to your planned re-entry. 

During your time overseas, you must maintain communication with ISO to ensure that your F-1 or J-1 status remains valid and that you are able to re-enter the country and resume your studies in Rochester as planned. If your activities abroad will extend more than 12 months beyond the travel signature found on your I-20 or DS-2019, it may be necessary to issue an updated I-20 or DS-2019 while you are gone. 

Consult with an ISO advisor to discuss your plans before leaving the US and to request necessary documentation. 

If you will be out of the country for an academic term and are NOT participating full-time in authorized study/research abroad, this is considered an absence from your program and requires the termination of your current SEVIS record. Learn more about taking a leave of absence.