Maintaining Valid F-1 or J-1 Status
- Keep your passport valid at all times, at least 6 months into the future
- Notify the ISO of any changes to the information listed on your I-20 or DS-2019
- Attend the University of Rochester, as authorized by your SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019
- Pursue a full-time course of study each and every academic term, unless otherwise authorized for a reduced course load in advance by the ISO
- Maintain active registration each term and make normal progress toward your degree until you complete all requirements or transfer to a new school
- Do not work off-campus without written authorization, prior to employment
- Limit on-campus employment to 20 hours per week when classes are in session
- Follow proper immigration procedures to extend your stay, change your educational level, or transfer schools, as needed (detailed information via Program Updates)
- Adhere to all grace periods rules and SEVIS reporting deadlines
- J-1 students: Maintain active health insurance and supplemental medical evacuation coverage for yourself and any dependents
- Notify the ISO of any address changes within 10 days: Address Change Form
- Maintain active and timely communication with the ISO at all times
During the mandatory Immigration Check-In process, all new international students at the University of Rochester are given a copy of the F-1 & J-1 Student Pledge. This form is used to inform students of the rules and regulations governing their status. By signing your I-20 or DS-2019, you have agreed to follow those rules.
If you have any questions about maintaining your status, please make an appointment to meet with an International Student Advisor.