Tools Search Main Menu

Updates to Your F-1 or J-1 Program Information

 You are responsible for reporting changes to your academic program and other information in a timely fashion. This includes any changes to your:

Many of these updates will need approval from your department and academic dean, and may require a new I-20 or DS-2019 from the International Services Office (ISO).

Official University Major or Concentration

ISO collects academic data on all F-1 and J-1 students through the University's electronic student information system. If there is an official change to your major or concentration, our records will be updated automatically. Occasionally, this requires an update to your I-20 or DS-2019, in which case you will be notified by email to pick it up from our office.

Funding Information

The financial information reported on your I-20 or DS-2019 is likely to change during your course of study. ISO is initially required to estimate expenses and to document funding for only one academic year. However, if your source(s) of funding change or the amounts change by more than 30 percent, you must request an update to your I-20 or DS-2019. This is especially important if you will be traveling, since you may be asked to show supporting financial documents at a US Consulate or port of entry.

Submit the Financial Update form (PDF), along with proof of your new funding.

Change of Academic Level

If you will change your current degree level, you must report this information to ISO and receive an updated I-20 or DS-2019. This is true whether you plan to complete early at a lower degree level or to continue your studies in a new degree program.

The timing of this change is based on individual circumstances and is determined after meeting with an International Student Advisor.

Submit the New Student Intake Forms with your new information.

Departure from the University

When you are ready to leave the University or will no longer maintain your student immigration status through our F-1 or J-1 programs, please notify ISO of your plans using the online Student Departure Form.

Occasions that require reporting include:

  • Completion of your academic program or authorized post-completion employment
  • Withdrawal from the University, prior to completion of academic program
  • SEVIS Immigration Transfer of current record to another US institution
  • Approved Change of Status to another immigration category

F-2 or J-2 Dependent Information

International students are permitted to sponsor their spouse and/or children for US dependent status under the F-2 or J-2 categories. If you would like to add, remove, or make changes to their information, please use our Dependent Information form (PDF).