Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Meloria • Ever Better
Search Tools Main Menu

Departing the U.S.

Once your program or activity ends, your ability to remain in the country after the completion date will depend on your eligible grace period. Additionally, the ISO asks that you complete a Departure Form to notify us of your plans. Please use the appropriate link:

When you leave the country, if applicable, you will be asked to surrender any paper versions of the form I-94 at the border or airport. This will be processed to record your departure date and the end of your US immigration status (if you are leaving after your program end date or work authorization end date). Most I-94s are now issued electronically and do not require surrendering. 

Failure to Submit Your Form I-94

If you were issued an I-94 (see above), when you leave the United States you will submit your I-94 card to report the date of your departure (except for certain short-term visits to Canada or Mexico using Automatic Revalidation). This is especially important after completion of your program at the University so that your immigration records will show that you did not overstay your permissions. Sometimes, international students/scholars forget or are unable to submit the card upon departure. If you failed to turn in your Form I-94 Departure Record, US Customs & Border Protection has established a process to send the card, along with any documentation that proves you left the United States (e.g., plane ticket), to one of the two following addresses:

If using the US Postal Service
Coleman Data Solutions
Box 7965
Akron, OH 44306
Attn: NIDPS (I-94)

If using a private courier such as FedEx or UPS
Coleman Data Solutions
3043 Sanitarium Road, Suite 2
Akron, OH 44312
Attn: NIDPS (I-94)