Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Meloria • Ever Better
Search Tools Main Menu

Create your GLACIER Record

The GLACIER system will prompt you to enter biographic, address, and contact information, along with details on your U.S. immigration status and travel history.  Creating your record should take 15 to 20 minutes, depending on your individual circumstances.  Many international students and scholars are nervous when completing their tax forms, but the software is actually very straightforward and simple, when you understand what is being asked.  We hope that this page will serve as a resource when you create and update your GLACIER information! Additionally, you can view a step-by-step video with complete directions on how to complete your GLACIER record through blackboard. 

The following list represents some of the Frequently Asked Questions that come up when completing the GLACIER record.  Each section is based on the screen title in the software, so you can follow along where you need assistance or more information.  Additional help is available through the GLACIER system or by contacting the GLACIER Support Center at:


1) User Agreement:

You are asked to accept the terms of use for the software, by choosing the appropriate button.  You also have the option to allow the University to provide Form 1042-S through the GLACIER system.  Please check this box! You may or may not receive this form depending on your earnings, but forms that are not distributed electronically must be mailed to your international address instead, which can slow your tax return process.


2) Welcome to GLACIER for University of Rochester:

Please select the action you would like to take on your record. These options will likely change throughout the calendar year, depending on what documents or systems are available for your use. For a new record or to make changes, you will have to select the option to "Create/update/view my Individual Record".


3) Relationship:

This page asks you to indicate all service and non-service relationships you maintain with the University of Rochester. The first group includes service-based relationships, such as employees, academic assistantships, and student workers. The second group includes non-service relationships, for students and some post-doctoral appointments. The remaining options are for other individuals who may maintain a temporary relationship with the University. It is possible for you to belong to more than one of these categories, and it is possible for these relationships to change over time! For assistance in determining your appropriate relationship(s), please use the workbox on the GLACIER Information handout and contact your hosting department.


4) Income Type:

This page asks you to indicate all types of payments, if any, you will receive from the University of Rochester. The available list of options will depend on the relationship categories selected on the previous screen. If you will receive a payment from the University, it will likely be "Compensation/Wages" (service-based) or "Scholarship or Fellowship" (non-service). If you do not receive any payments or income from the University, please select "No Income". Please note: Students who receive a tuition scholarship or waiver that appears as a reduction from their bill should NOT select "Scholarship or Fellowship" for that award. This category is only meant to be used for actual money paid from the University to the individual, which are not considered as a payment for services provided. For assistance in determining the correct income type(s) for each payment, please use the workbox on the GLACIER Information handout and contact your hosting department.


5) Personal Information:

Please enter your name, consistent with your immigration documents, and the email address where notices from GLACIER will be received and read. You should also include your US Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).  If you do not have one of these identification numbers, you will need to indicate your application plans:

  • Students or scholars who anticipate payments from the University, even at some future date, may select the option for "I have applied for an SSN, and I have not yet received the number". Once you receive your SSN, you must update your GLACIER record and submit your tax summary and forms to the University Payroll office! If known, UR employees should also enter their Empl ID, which is listed in the University's HRMS system. Note: Tax treaty benefits are not available until the SSN is issued and reported in GLACIER, but you may claim a refund on your annual tax return if excess tax is withheld while the SSN application is pending. If needed, please contact an advisor in the ISO to discuss the SSN application process and documentation.
  • Scholars or others in a no-pay relationship with the University (i.e. there is no possibility that you will receive UR payments) should select the option for "I do NOT have a U.S.-issued SSN or ITIN; I would like to apply for an ITIN".  This option is correct, even if you do not intend to apply for one.


6) US Address:

Please list your contact information and current mailing address in the US, or indicate that you cannot receive mail in the country right now. You must update this information if you move during your program or activity in the US.


7) Permanent Foreign Address:

List your current foreign mailing address. As a nonimmigrant, you are required to have an address outside the US considered to be your home, but you may list the address of a parent or family member overseas if necessary.


8) Country of Citizenship / Tax Residence:

You are asked to indicate your citizenship and tax residency. If you have dual citizenship, please list the country that issued your passport used for travel and entry to the US. For most individuals, your countries of citizenship and tax residency will be the same.  However, if you have been living in a different country before coming to Rochester and filed tax documents there, you may have established tax residency in that country.


9) Immigration Status (1):

Select the appropriate immigration sponsor for your current status, which is usually the University of Rochester. If you are sponsored by Fulbright or another institution, or did not receive sponsorship for your current travel, please select the appropriate option. From the dropdown list provided, choose your current immigration category. For J-1 Exchange Visitors, please refer to your DS-2019 to determine the correct option based on the purpose of your program/activity.


10) Time Spent in the US:

This page is meant to capture your current program or travel information. Please refer to the date stamped in your passport or on your I-94 card for your ORIGINAL entry to the US for your current activity. Even if you have changed institutions or traveled home temporarily since then, you should still list the original date of entry. The date your permission expires should be based on your current immigration documents, such as the I-20, DS-2019, or I-797 H-1B Approval Notice, etc. If you are just beginning your program at UR, you may list your estimated departure date to match, and update this later on when you know your actual final departure from the US.


11) Immigration Status (2):

Please indicate whether your current status is the SAME or DIFFERENT from your last entry to the country. If you were approved for a Change of Status by application to USCIS, you must select the second option. You will then be prompted to enter your previous immigration information, including the original visa category and the date your status was changed.


12) Days Present in the US:

You are asked to enter the number of days you have been physically present in the US, which is used in calculating your tax residency category. For each year of your current immigration status, you should list how many days you were NOT in the US during that calendar year. This is an ESTIMATE and should not cause you extreme concern about finding the precise information! Additionally, you can always go back to update this information later if you feel you made an error. Tip: You may be able to use your passport to calculate the length of any trips you took during that time. If you have traveled to the US previously, you should indicate the year, immigration status, and days IN the country for all of your prior trips. Again, this information should be a complete representation, but can be estimated to the best of your ability. You will be asked to review the summary of travel information before proceeding.


13) Tax Treaty Exemption Verification:

After calculating your applicable tax withholding rates and tax treaty exemptions, GLACIER will notify you of your eligibility. If you are not eligible, you may continue with your record. If you are eligible for a tax treaty, you may have to contact the University Payroll office and/or supply additional documentation to claim the treaty benefits. Please read the information provided by GLACIER carefully, as these details are based on your individual circumstances.


14) Tax Summary Report:

GLACIER will provide a summary of your tax information, including your federal Tax Residency status (line 2). The required forms listed will also be available as PDF documents to print and sign when you are done with your record.


15) State Tax Withholding Selection: (if applicable)

If you are receiving compensation or other taxable earnings, you will be prompted to complete additional information for your New York state tax forms. For each payment you receive, withholdings are taken and set aside to cover the estimated tax due at the end of the year. The amount withheld is calculated as a percentage of your earnings. You will receive a refund if too much money is withheld, but you will have to pay the additional taxes owed if the withholdings were not enough. You can decide if you would like the maximum withholding taken from each payment (choose "0"), or to claim withholding allowances to lower the percentage. Allowances are reported as a number, not a dollar amount, and usually represent the number of people who depend on your income (yourself, your spouse, and your children). A higher allowance amount means that less money is taken from your paycheck to cover estimated tax expenses, but this also increases the risk that you may owe additional taxes at the end of the year, instead of receiving a refund. If you are prompted to complete this screen in your GLACIER record, consider the following:

  • Resident: Indicate that you are a resident "Elsewhere" in New York State.
  • Withholding Allowances: The higher your allowances, the lower your tax withholdings from each payment. Most people choose "0" or "1" initially. If you find that too much or too little is being withheld, you can update this number later.
  • Additional Withholding: Unless you want an additional dollar amount held from every payment, please put "0" (recommended).
  • Filing Status: Select your marital status, as it relates to how your family earnings will be reported for tax purposes. For many, "Single or Head of Household" is the appropriate choice.


16) View and Print Forms:

When you click on the button to print your forms, you will open a PDF file with your Tax Summary and all required forms, with your information automatically filled by the software. You will need to PRINT and SIGN each form. Please do NOT print double-sided, as these forms may need to be processed separately. The Tax Summary will also tell you what photocopies are required of your immigration documents. These papers, including the summary, forms and copies, must be sent to the University Payroll office as soon as possible. The complete mailing address is printed on the Tax Summary, but you may send the documents via intercampus mail to 'Box PERC' through any campus office. Please update your GLACIER record as needed if your information changes at any point. If the new information triggers a change to your Tax Summary or tax forms, you must send the new paperwork to UR Payroll.