Tools Search Main Menu

SEVIS Immigration Transfer to Rochester

If you plan to continue your degree or begin a new program of study at the University of Rochester, you must transfer your F-1 or J-1 student record through SEVIS.

Start by contacting the international student advisor at your current institution to schedule the SEVIS release date for your transfer. Then, indicate this date on the University of Rochester’s New Student Information Form and include the contact information for current institution’s international student advisor.

The release date triggers the end of your program and you will no longer be eligible to pursue activities or receive benefits associated with your previous school, including on-campus employment, optional practical training (OPT), or enrollment.

Your SEVIS record is electronically transferred to the University of Rochester on the same day and the International Student Office (ISO) will issue a new I-20 or DS-2019 (provided the New Student Information Form and supporting documentation have been received). We are unable to issue the new document until your record has been released from your current institution.

You must follow all procedures and policies of your current school for the immigration transfer. Please let your current institution know that ISO does not require any transfer-in forms. SEVIS transfers should be released to "University of Rochester,” school code BUF214F00034000.


You may not exceed more than five months between the two programs (including post-completion employment) and must enroll in the next available term at the University of Rochester.

The release date should be scheduled as early as possible, with a minimum of one week prior to the start of your academic program at Rochester.

Visa Validity  

If you successfully transfer your SEVIS record between the two schools, you will not need to apply for a new student visa or pay the SEVIS fee again. You can use your original visa and SEVIS fee because the SEVIS ID number has not changed.

If your visa is expired, you can remain in the United States but will need to apply for a new visa the next time you travel abroad.

If you need to renew your visa in between the two programs, you will need a new I-20 or DS-2019 from the University of Rochester for your visa interview.

Learn more about US immigration rules on our travel web pages.

More Information

If you have additional questions, contact ISO.

Return to the  New Student Request Form for additional instructions and required information.