Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Meloria • Ever Better
Search Tools Main Menu

New Student Info Form: Change of Status (COS)

If you are currently in the United States maintaining a valid non-immigrant status (such as H-4, F-2, etc.), you may be able to change to F-1 or J-1 student status in order to pursue your degree at UR. The decision whether to change status and when is often based on the permissions available in your current status. Some non-student categories will allow for study, while others have very specific restrictions. In some cases, the bigger concern is whether your current status will allow you to work during your program, either on-campus or through other authorizations. 

If you intend to enroll at the University of Rochester and would like to change your status, you will need to decide whether to change by (1) travel or (2) application to USCIS. You should indicate your preferred method on the New Student Request Form. For more information on these options, please visit our page on Changing Immigration Status. Various factors may impact this decision, including your personal and academic goals, necessary timing, and likelihood of success. Please contact the ISO to schedule an appointment, either by phone or in person, to discuss your individual circumstances. Depending on your situation, the ISO may recommend one of these as the better option.


Return to additional instructions for the New Student Request Form.