Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Meloria • Ever Better
Search Tools Main Menu

Childcare & Local School Options

Childcare for Young Children

If your child is too young to enroll in primary school, you may want to consider daycare or nursery school options. Such programs will provide socialization and activities with adult supervision during the day. There are a variety of services in this area, with different options and arrangements. Some may have more flexible schedules than others, or offer different class sizes, structure, or fees. Be sure to research your choices to find a childcare provider that suits your needs. Please refer to our information on Interviewing a Daycare Center. It is important to find a program where you are comfortable leaving your child while you are in classes, work, or otherwise occupied. To find a qualified and licensed facility, use the New York State Office of Children and Family Services search tool.

Cost of Daycare: You will pay more for daycare while your child is a baby and toddler stages, since children this age require more hands-on care and centers must hire more caregivers. According to data from the National Association of Child Care Resource & Referral Agencies (NACCRRA), daycare expenses for babies and toddlers in the U.S. average $8,150 per year ($679 a month). Depending on where you live, this represents a range of $4,388 to $14,647 a year ($366 to $1,221 per month). Daycare for preschoolers is generally less expensive, averaging $6,423 a year ($535 a month), ranging $3,794 to $10,920 annually ($316 to $910 a month).


Public & Private Schools

In the United States, children between the ages of 5 and 16 are required to attend school. Most children will remain enrolled through the age of 17 or 18, after completing 13 years of primary and secondary education.

Public Schools: Your children may attend Rochester public schools free of charge. To enroll your child in school, you will need to show their birth certificate, school records or transcripts, documented proof of immunizations, and proof of residency (such as a recent utility bill addressed to your current residence). The appropriate school is determined by where you live. Please refer to UR campus housing locations to determine which school your child will attend.
     -  Whipple Park residents: Rush Henrietta School District
     -  Goler House, or close proximity: Rochester City School District

Private Schools: Private schools offer a variety of different options for children in the Rochester area. You can choose from schools with special classes to fit your lifestyle and religious beliefs. Private schools often offer smaller class sizes with lower teacher-to-student ratios, so that students can receive the one-on-one attention they may need. Private schools, however, do charge for enrollment, whereas public schools are free. 


Summer Camps

Many children in the U.S. attend camps and other organized activities during school breaks and over the summer months. Camps often specialize in different areas, such as sports, arts, or educational learning. Here you can search for local summer camps.


For more information on dependent permissions and requirements, please visit our Dependent Spouses & Children page.