Tools Search Main Menu

Incoming Dependents

International students, scholars, and employees at the University of Rochester may invite their immediate family members (spouse/children) to join them when they are first arriving or later into their program. The procedures will vary based on the their status as F-1, J-1, H-1B or other immigration category. Family members who are not eligible for a dependent status, such as parents, siblings, or extended family, should most likely use a B-1/B-2 Visitor Visa to enter the US (see our travel information for Inviting Family & Friends).

Dependents of F-1 or J-1 Students

When requesting dependent documentation, F-1 and J-1 students must provide the following materials: a copy of passport ID page for each dependent, and proof of financial support of $7000 USD for each dependent, beyond your other estimated expenses. If your University funding exceeds your expenses by more than the required dependent amount, you do not need to show any additional documentation. Otherwise, you must provide an original bank statement or proof of other funding.

You may use the Dependent Information Form to request new visa documents for your dependents from ISO. If you are a new incoming student, you must include this with your New Student Information Form. When your request is processed, the ISO will then issue documents for you and your dependents at the same time. If you are a current student already enrolled and maintaining valid F-1 or J-1 status, adding a new dependent will require an update to your SEVIS record. ISO will then issue a new I-20 or DS-2019 for you, in addition to the appropriate dependent form(s), which are usually available within a week of submitting the request.

Dependents of J-1 Researchers or Professors

In order to bring dependents to the US, the J-1 researcher or professor must show evidence of financial resources sufficient to support their spouse and/or children. As a rule, our minimum funding requirement for each dependent who will accompany the J-1 principal to the US is $500 USD per month. This amount does not include the cost of health insurance and medical evacuation and repatriation of remains insurance, which are required of all J-1 and J-2 visa holders by the US government.  

To request dependent documentation, please use the Family Questionnaire. Upon receipt of all the necessary paperwork, the ISO will make a determination as to whether a DS-2019 is appropriate. If so, we will issue a new copy of your DS-2019 for the purpose of dependent visa application and travel to the US.  


Information on travel and US visa requirements is available on our Travel Information page.