Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Meloria • Ever Better
Search Tools Main Menu

Dependent Spouses & Children

Immediate family members (spouse and children under 21 years of age) of most international students or employees are eligible to apply for a visa and enter the US as a dependent. Their dependent status and ability to remain in the country is completely based on the status and activities of the principal alien. Common dependent categories at the University include F-2, J-2, H-4, TD, and O-3. Dependents of US Permanent Residents have separate eligibility specifications and regulations. There are no dependent categories for visitors, so every family member must apply for their own B-1/B-2 visa or waiver.


Documentation and Travel

For information on specific documentation and travel permissions for dependents, please visit the Visa Categories page for the appropriate principal status. As a dependent, your stay in the United States is tied to the start and end dates and maintenance of valid status of your spouse or parent. If the principal alien ends their program or employment at UR and leaves the US, the dependent(s) must leave as well. Similarly, if the principal alien leaves the country for an extended period of time (typically greater than 4 weeks), any dependents are expected to accompany the principal while they are out of the country.


Dependent Permissions

Specific guidance is available for dependents who may be interested in:


Additional Resources & Information