Tools Search Main Menu

J-1 Students and Scholars

The University is authorized to host J Exchange Visitors in the following 4 categories:

Professor: An individual who is primarily teaching/lecturing, observing, or consulting at the University. A professor may also conduct research. Minimum period of stay is 3 weeks. The limit of stay is 5 years.

Research Scholar: An individual who is primarily conducting research, observing, or consulting in connection with a research project at the University. A research scholar may also teach or lecture. Minimum period of stay is 3 weeks. The limit of stay is 5 years.

Short-Term Scholar: A professor, research scholar or person with similar education or accomplishments coming to the United States on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills at the University. There is no minimum period of stay. Extensions can be made within the 6 months, though the total length of stay cannot exceed 6 months. 

Student: An individual who is studying in the United States pursuing a full course of study at a post-secondary accredited educational institution. The limit of stay varies according to the full course of study being pursued (Bachelors, Masters, Doctoral, or Non-Degree).

J-1 students are served by ISO's Student Services staff; all other categories are served by the Scholar Services staff.

Any program in which an exchange visitor will participate in must be suitable to the exchange visitor's education, experience, and needs. Prospective exchange visitors must have earned at least a Bachelor's degree to participate in the Professor, Research Scholar, or Short-term Scholar categories. In addition, the exchange visitor must possess sufficient proficiency in the English language. Exchange visitors are required to purchase and maintain adequate health insurance for themselves and any accompanying family members. Finally, they must have proof of enough financial support for the duration of their stay. 


Travel Permissions and Required Documentation

J-1 students and scholars may enter the United States up to 30 days prior to their program start date. After the program end date, an additional 30-day grace period is available. J-1 exchange visitors should not travel outside the United States while a change of status is pending with USCIS. J-1 documentation includes:

  • DS-2019 with current travel signature
  • Valid I-94 record (after arrival)
  • Valid Passport with J-1 visa stamp (excluding Canadian citizens)
  • Proof of funding for J-1 scholars (last two months' pay statements if paid by the University; for all other funding, take original proof, such as award letters, bank statements, etc.)


J-2 Dependents

J-1 students and scholars may request J-2 documents for their spouse and/or children to accompany them to the United States. The dependent status is based directly on the primary exchange visitor's valid status. There are important restrictions on study and work for J-2 dependents. For more general information, please visit our section for Dependent Spouses & Children. J-2 dependent documentation includes:

  • Passport, valid 6 months into the future
  • J-2 DS-2019 with current travel signature
  • Valid J-2 visa stamp (as needed)
  • Valid I-94 record (after arrival)
  • Proof of dependent relationship (marriage or birth certificates) 
  • Copies of primary J-1 documents, if traveling alone (see above)


Additional Information & Resources