Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Meloria • Ever Better
Search Tools Main Menu

Employment Reporting for F-1/J-1 Students

Many recent graduates choose to remain under ISO immigration sponsorship to pursue employment or other hands-on training activities related to their degree, using benefits of F-1 Optional Practical Training or J-1 Academic Training. Immigration regulations REQUIRE that you maintain up-to-date records through the school during your post-completion work authorization. This means that ISO must be notified within 10 days of any change in your residential address and/or employment activities. For J-1 students, changes in employment must also be authorized in advance by ISO before beginning any work at a new employer. F-1 students may change employers at any time, provided the conditions of their OPT authorization or STEM Extension authorization and all reporting obligations are met.

Please use the appropriate form(s) below to submit new information to ISO. All employment information will be entered into your SEVIS record, so you must provide complete and accurate details. Without the correct information, ISO cannot update your F/J immigration record. Delays in timely reporting could result in the termination of your SEVIS record. Please use these forms as often as necessary to ensure that your records are accurate. There are separate forms for F-1 reporting based on study at the Eastman School of Music, versus all other academic units, and the STEM Extension rules. Also, there is a separate form to report progress toward H-1B sponsorship and to request documentation of the F-1 OPT Cap Gap Extension, when appropriate.


F-1 Optional Practical Training:

OPT Reporting Form 
(for F-1 students/graduates of all UR schools, other than ESM,
 and those approved for a 17-month STEM Extension)

Eastman OPT Reporting Form 
(for F-1 students/graduates of the Eastman School of Music)

F-1 OPT STEM Extensions:

STEM Reporting Form 
(for F-1 students/graduates approved for a 24-month STEM Extension)

J-1 Academic Training:

AT Reporting Form 
(for all J-1 students/graduates, regardless of UR school)

Other Reporting Tools:

H-1B Application Details & OPT Cap Gap Request

Student Departure Form